Jazz up burger night with these juicy burgers sandwiched between toasted Italian rolls with pepperoni, mozzarella cheese, pizza sauce and a fried onion, roasted red pepper and garlic topping.
Do you eat burgers all year long? I do! They’re on regular rotation at my house and this is an easy way to change things up.
First the veggies are cooked in olive oil until soft and flavorful. They’re removed and the burgers are cooked in the same pan, topped with sauce and mozzarella or provolone cheese and left to melt. I hate eating burgers if the cheese isn’t melted all the way.
For the burger patties ground beef is mixed with a little diced pepperoni – if you don’t like pepperoni just leave it out – there’s enough going on that you won’t miss it.
Everything comes together on a warm, buttery bun – the finishing touch – toasting the bun – takes a great burger and makes it better. I found rolls at my bakery that were called “Italian rolls” you can use ciabatta, a hard roll or even Italian bread. If you like a softer bun, sesame seeds ones are good here too.
Burgers aren’t just for summertime barbecues. They make the perfect cold weather comfort food.
- 1 - 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1 (jarred) roasted red pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 clove minced garlic
- sea or kosher salt and fresh black pepper
- 1 pound ground beef
- ⅓ cup diced pepperoni
- ¾ cup pizza sauce
- 6 ounces sliced mozzarella or provolone
- butter, for toasting the rolls
- 3 Italian, ciabatta or sesame seed rolls
- Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan over medium heat and add the onion, red pepper and garlic with a couple dashes salt and pepper. Cook, stirring often until soft. Remove to a small bowl and cover with foil.
- Mix the ground beef with the pepperoni and a few dashes salt and pepper. Divide into three equal pieces and form into patties.
- Cook in the same pan over medium heat to your desired doneness.
- Turn the heat down to low and top with sauce and cheese. Put a lid on the pan about 5 minutes until the cheese is melted.
- Toast the buns.
- To serve place the burgers on the buns and top with veggies.