Beef stew with flavor-boosting red wine, sirloin steak, fresh thyme, Italian seasonings, potatoes, carrots and corn. With both stove top and slow cooker methods included in the directions. . . my preference is for the crock pot. The meat takes on an incredible tenderness that is hard to beat.
Growing up beef stew was one of my least favorite meals. I was super picky and would eat only the potatoes. . . maybe a few carrots with a little coaxing. Never the meat.
I can’t say I’ve grown to love it like my family does but I like it a lot better today. Thank you red wine. My Mom didn’t start using red wine in it until recently. Thank you Julia Child. For your influence.
The red wine makes a world of difference in elevating your average, every day stew to off the charts in the flavor department. Plus she switched out her usual “beef stew cubes” for sirloin steak that she cuts up herself. My steak of choice.
This hearty stew spells comfort. Unadulterated comfort.
A warm, tasty, soul satisfying hug. In a bowl.
Beef stew with flavor-boosting red wine, sirloin steak, fresh thyme, Italian seasonings, potatoes, carrots and corn.
- Season the meat well with salt and pepper and place in a large mixing bowl. Add about 2 tablespoons flour and toss to coat.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large soup pot or heavy-duty saucepan. Brown the meat well on all sides in 2 batches so the pan isn't crowded. Remove the meat to a platter and reserve the juices.
- Turn the heat down to medium and add the remaining tablespoon oil with the onion, cook about 5 minutes; add garlic and cook until fragrant.
- Add wine, chicken broth, thyme, bayleaf, Italian seasoning, carrots, potatoes, corn, the cooked beef and the juices. Season again with salt and pepper.
- Bring to a simmer and cook until meat is tender about 1 hour to 1 + 1/2 hours, tasting often and re-seasoning as needed. Remove bay leaf before serving.
- Follow instructions above for browning meat and cooking the onions and garlic. Add them to a medium-sized crockpot along with the rest of the ingredients and cook on high 4-5 hours.