A hearty main dish soup with sweet peas, arborio rice and hot Italian sausage. Rich, creamy and flavorful with a hint of sweetness and a touch of spiciness, this is a comforting soup that will satisfy on all levels.
The soup is started the same way as Risotto Milanese by sauteing onion and garlic and toasting the rice in butter. Instead of a little at a time, the broth goes in all at once along with sweet peas and cooked, crumbled sausage. A quick simmer for a soup, 20 minutes, and then the special finishing touch; a glug of half & half and Parmesan cheese.
It’s best to serve the soup immediately or the rice will continue to suck up every ounce of the broth; stir additional broth into the soup when reheating leftovers.
A hearty main dish soup with sweet peas, arborio rice and hot Italian sausage.
- In a large skillet brown sausage over medium heat, breaking it apart as it cooks.
- Meanwhile in a large soup pot or sauce pan saute onion in enough olive oil to cover bottom of pan over medium-low heat until soft and tender. Season well with salt and pepper. Add garlic saute until fragrant.
- Melt in butter then add rice and basil, turn heat up to medium, cook for 3-4 minutes stirring often.
- Add chicken broth, peas and cooked sausage, season again with salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer, cook about 20 minutes or until rice is tender.
- Add half & half and Parmesan cheese, bring to a simmer, cook five more minutes. If you have fresh basil on hand chop and add a few leaves. Serve immediately with additional Parmesan cheese and crusty bread or croutons
Copyright ©2013 Cinnamon Spice and Everything Nice by Reeni Pisano