Mozzarella cheese takes perfectly roasted potatoes to delicious new heights!
Yukon gold potatoes roasted with Italian seasonings then smothered in mozzarella cheese are baked until golden brown and gooey.
You don’t often see potatoes and mozzarella used a lot together but I’m here to say they are a happy marriage.
There’s more to life for mozzarella than pizza and pasta.
Taking the extra step to roast the potatoes first with extra-virgin olive oil gives them a boost of flavor they wouldn’t otherwise have. Plus they get nice and crispy on the outside for added texture.
Stringy, chewy cheese gives way to crusty, creamy potatoes underneath for a comfort-filled side dish
you everyone will love.
- 5 - 6 cups Yukon Gold potatoes, cut into ½-inch cubes
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for greasing pans
- coarse salt and fresh black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning, crushed between fingertips
- 1 + ½ cups sour cream
- 1 heaping cup fresh shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Generously
greasea large baking sheet or roasting pan.
- Add the potato cubes and drizzle with the oil, sprinkle with salt, pepper
andthe Italian seasoning. Use your hands to massage the oil and seasonings into the potatoes. Make a single layer of them and bake until fork tender 25 - 35 minutes.
- Remove the potatoes from the oven to a mixing bowl. Toss with sour cream and taste - season with additional salt and pepper if needed.
- Grease an 8x8-inch casserole pan and add the potatoes. Sprinkle the cheese over top. Bake about 20 minutes or until cheese is melted and golden.