Have you heard the news? It’s salad week over here! I’ll be posting my favorites all week long because summer is for salads and you can never have too many recipes for them up your sleeve.
My Mom’s old-fashioned potato salad gets a new twist by simply adding ranch salad dressing into the mix.
The potatoes are the stars alongside hard-boiled eggs, mayonnaise, Dijon mustard, vinegar, dill weed, green olives, red onions and my Mom’s secret ingredient: Worcestershire sauce.
One of the things that makes it so good is her method of boiling the potatoes whole with the peels on. Of course I had to test her theory and I proved her right – no other way of cooking gave me quite the same results.
When you boil them whole the outsides get a little mushy so when you mix the salad some of that starchy potato mixes in with the dressing to help make it super creamy and flavorful. That’s my theory and I’m sticking to it.
This disappears faster than you can imagine at picnics and potlucks and has people asking for the recipe.
|Salad Week: Ranch Potato Salad|| |
- 1 + ½ pounds russet, Yukon Gold or red potatoes
- 7 large eggs
- salt and fresh black pepper
- ½ cup ranch salad dressing
- ⅔ cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried dill weed
- ⅓ cup diced red onion
- ⅓ cup diced Spanish green olive with pimentos or dill pickle
- paprika, for sprinkling over top
- Scrub the potatoes clean. Add them to a large soup pot/Dutch oven (or 2) and cover with water. Bring to a boil and cook until fork tender 20 - 30 minutes, adding more boiling water if needed.
- Cook the eggs in a medium saucepan with enough water to cover plus a tablespoon of salt - bring to a boil and cook 8 - 10 minutes. Drain and cover with ice water to cool
- Drain the potatoes and put them in the refrigerator to cool.
- Peel the potatoes and cut into large cubes. Add to a large mixing bowl. Peel and dice six of the eggs, add to the bowl.
- In a medium bowl whisk the dressing, mayo, mustard, vinegar, worcestershire, dill and 1 teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon black pepper together. Pour over the eggs and potatoes, add the red onion and olive, toss gently until well mixed.
- Taste and season with more salt and pepper if needed, if it seems dry add more dressing and mayo. Mix well.
- Scoop into a serving bowl. Slice the remaining egg and lay over top then sprinkle paprika all over. Refrigerate. Serve cold.