Roasted potatoes seasoned with Italian spices, dunked lightly in tomato sauce and smothered in stringy mozzarella cheese. Your new best friend in a side dish.
- 6 cups cubed, peeled potatoes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- sea or kosher salt and fresh black pepper
- ⅓ cup marinara sauce
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh parsley, for garnish, optional
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Grease a large baking sheet generously with olive oil.
- Pile the potatoes up on the baking sheet.
- Drizzle the potatoes with olive oil and sprinkle the Italian seasoning and garlic powder over them.
- Toss well with your hands rubbing the oil onto the potatoes.
- Spread them out in one layer and season with salt and pepper.
- Bake 20 minutes then toss them around and bake 10 - 20 minutes longer until fork tender and golden.
- Add the sauce to a large mixing bowl and scrape the hot potatoes into it. Toss well to coat the potatoes all over, adding more sauce if needed.
- Add more oil to your baking sheet if needed then spread the potatoes back out.
- Sprinkle with the mozzarella.
- Bake about 5 more minutes until the cheese is melted.
- Garnish with fresh chopped parsley if desired.
Cubed potatoes tossed in olive oil, Italian seasonings and garlic powder are roasted until fork-tender and golden brown.
The hot potatoes are coated in your favorite marinara/spaghetti sauce, spread back out on the baking sheet and covered with shredded mozzarella cheese to bake until melted and gooey.
The starchy, creamy potatoes just love the acidic bite of the tomato sauce.
It makes their flavor pop in your mouth. I didn’t realize potatoes and tomato sauce got along so well or I would have paired the two together long before now.
They go well with meatloaf, roasted chicken, pork chops, and any type of roast.
I promise they will be a surprise hit in your house!
Everyone will gobble them up and reach for seconds.
Originally published in July 2016.