All the classic flavors of chicken cordon blue are found in this skillet pasta!
Chewy egg noodles with tender bites of chicken and diced ham in a creamy Swiss cheese sauce with sweet baby peas make up this deconstructed chicken cordon blue.
Or is it bleu?!
The recipe starts with baking the chicken, cutting it into bite-sized cubes and tossing it back into the pan juices so it doesn’t dry out while you make the sauce and cook the noodles.
Chicken broth, milk, Dijon mustard and Gruyere cheese make up the sauce with a little butter and flour for thickening plus onion and garlic, my favorite flavor makers.
Deli ham, frozen peas and the chicken are mixed into the sauce and tossed with the egg noodles to finish with a little fresh chopped parsley.
It’s the superstar of comfort food.
Creamy, delicious and totally moreish.
- 1 pound boneless chicken breasts
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion, diced
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 8 ounces egg noodles
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 + ½ cups chicken broth
- 1 + ½ cups milk
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 cups shredded Gruyere cheese
- 4 ounces deli ham, diced (I used Virginia ham)
- 1 cup frozen sweet peas
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped parsley
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Bake the chicken until cooked through. Remove from the pan to a cutting board and let it sit 10 minutes. Cut into bite-sized cubes. If there's juices in the bottom of the pan you baked them in add the cubes to it and let them soak it up. Cover with foil.
- Heat the butter over medium-low heat in a large frying pan and cook the onion and garlic 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Meanwhile, cook the noodles to al dente in plenty of salted water according to package directions. Drain well and toss with a pat of butter to prevent sticking.
- Sprinkle the flour over the veggies in the pan and stir, cooking 2 minutes.
- Slowly stir in the chicken broth and milk. Stir in the mustard, ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon black pepper.
- Bring to a simmer and cook 3 - 4 minutes, stirring often. Add the cheese and stir until melted.
- Stir in the ham and the peas. Let it come back up to a simmer.
- Stir in the chicken and parsley and remove the pan from the heat.
- Add the noodles - if they'll fit in the pan - if not add the noodles to a large mixing bowl and pour the sauce over it.
- Toss well and serve.