Slow-cooked, seasoned chicken breasts piled high on soft, toasted hoagie rolls with cheese, roasted red peppers, jalapeños, onions, and pickles.
The crockpot makes the chicken so tender that the simple act of picking it up causes it to fall apart while simmering them in chicken broth ensures they’ll have a juicy outcome.
The broth is lightly seasoned with Dijon mustard, Worcestershire sauce, chili powder, cumin, garlic and onion powder plus I add a couple of jalapeño peppers to spice things up along with roasted red pepper and onion strips.
Let’s talk cheese. I like American here because of the way it melts. Provolone is good too or extra sharp cheddar. You can even use warm, gooey cheez whiz like they do in Philly.
This is one of my more versatile recipes, a base you can play around with and make your own. Just about anything goes.
You can change the seasonings, add more of them, make it spicier or less spicy. . .whatever you like in a cheesesteak or you’re in the mood for.
|Slow-Cooker Chicken Cheesesteaks|| |
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ⅛ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 + ½ - 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- coarse salt and fresh black pepper
- 2 large yellow onions, sliced
- 2 fire roasted (jarred) red peppers, sliced on the thicker side
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeds and stems removed, minced, optional
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- hoagie rolls
- butter, for toasting
- american, provolone or sharp cheddar cheese
- refrigerator pickles
- hot sauce
- Add the broth, mustard, Worcestershire, chili powder, cumin, onion powder, garlic powder, 1 teaspoon coarse salt (or ½ teaspoon fine salt), and about ¼ teaspoon black pepper to a crockpot(I use a 4 quart) set on high and whisk together.
- Season the chicken well with salt and pepper - if they're on the large side cut them in half - and nestle them into the crockpot.
- Add the onions, peppers, and garlic.
- Cook on high 4 hours or low 6 - 8. During the last hour remove the chicken to a cutting board and cut into bite-size pieces or shred with 2 forks. Return back to the pot. If there is a lot of liquid left in the crockpot let it cook with the lid off for a little while to evaporate some of it off.
- Butter the insides of the hoagie rolls and toast in a hot skillet until golden brown.
- Lay your choice of cheese down then top with chicken, some of the onion mixture and pickles, hot sauce too - if you like.