Slow-cooker chicken in a sweet & savory chili sauce with water chestnuts, bell peppers and onions.
This is one of the easiest and most delicious chicken recipes! You start by mixing the sauce together right in the crockpot – sweet chili sauce, soy sauce, minced garlic, lime juice and water.
Sweet chili sauce is an Asian ingredient that is sweet and spicy all at the same time. You can use it as a dipping sauce or add it right into your food for flavor.
To the sauce you add cubed chicken breasts and thick cut bell peppers and onions. Towards the end water chestnuts are mixed in along with a cornstarch slurry to help thicken up the sauce so it coats the chicken.
I love to serve it over rice but rice noodles would be just as good. There’s not a lot of extra sauce so you can double it if you want more than enough to coat the chicken.
The chicken turns out super tender thanks to the slow-cooker and the sauce morphs into a delectable mix of sweet, savory, and spicy with a touch of citrus that makes you want to keep eating and eating until every last bite is gone.
Ask me how I know.
|Slow-Cooker Sweet Chili Chicken|| |
- ¾ cup sweet chili sauce
- 2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon fresh squeezed lime juice, plus more for serving
- ½ onion, sliced into thick wedges
- 1 bell pepper, sliced into thick wedges
- 1 pound boneless chicken breasts, cut into cubes
- 8 ounces sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- cooked rice, for serving
- In a 4 qt. or similar-sized slow-cooker whisk the sweet chili sauce, soy sauce, garlic, lime juice and ¼ cup water together.
- Add the onion, bell pepper and chicken, toss and coat well in the sauce.
- Cook on low 5 hours or high 3 hours.
- Stir in the water chestnuts.
- Mix the corn starch with 2 tablespoons water until smooth. Mix into the chicken.
- Cook ½ to 1 more hour until the water chestnuts are hot and the sauce has thickened.
- Serve over cooked rice with a squeeze of lime.