Baked pastry puffs stuffed with a cream cheese, feta, bacon and spinach filling.
They’re baked in a muffin pan like little packages where the pastry bakes up all flaky and tender with a delectable gift in the center.
These are great appetizers that you can put together ahead of time and bake off as needed.
Or you can make them just because, like I did, and eat them for every meal and all the hours in between because they’re so delicious and completely addictive.
They can be served as a side or packed up for a picnic or potluck, although I think they’re best served warm because warm, melty cheese rules.
|Spinach Cheese Puffs|| |
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon dried dill
- 2 packed cups chopped fresh spinach
- ¾ cup crumbled feta
- 3 slices crispy cooked bacon, crumbled
- coarse salt and fresh ground black pepper
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry (from a 17.3-ounce package), thawed and cut into 9 squares (cut them on a floured board with a paring knife)
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Grease 9 round or square cups in a muffin pan.
- Briefly microwave the cream cheese - about 20 seconds or longer if needed until it's soft and melted but not steaming hot. Mix the egg, oil and dill into it until well combined - the cream cheese may not be smooth and that's ok.
- In a separate bowl add the spinach, feta, and bacon. Pour the cream cheese mixture over top, season it with salt and pepper (about ½ teaspoon salt and ⅛ teaspoon pepper) then use a fork to combine it together.
- Line the muffin pan with the pastry squares, stretching them out a little if needed, press them into the bottom of the cups. Divide the spinach among the cups as evenly as possible. Bring the 4 points together over the filling and press them together.
- Lightly brush with the melted butter. Bake about 25 minute until golden brown and puffy. Allow to cool in pan on wire rack 10 minutes then run a knife around the edges to loosen them and help pop them out.
©Cinnamon Spice and Everything Nice by Reeni Pisano All Rights Reserved.