Baby spinach, romaine hearts, sliced strawberries, bites of chicken, feta and walnuts come together with the help of a honey white wine vinaigrette to make this entrée worthy salad.
- ¼ cup honey
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- coarse salt and fresh black pepper
- 2 packed cups baby spinach
- 2 packed cups chopped romaine hearts
- 1 heaping cup sliced strawberries
- 1 cup chopped or shredded cooked chicken
- ⅓ cup crumbled feta cheese
- ¼ cup chopped walnuts
- Whisk the honey, vinegar, and mustard together in a small bowl. Slowly whisk in the oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- In a large bowl toss the spinach, romaine, and strawberries together. Drizzle lightly with dressing and toss. Divide among 2 plates.
- Arrange the chicken over top and sprinkle with feta and walnuts. Serve with additional dressing, salt, and pepper.
Is it just me or are strawberries getting bigger and bigger every year? I mean some of mine were bigger than the palm of my hand. Strawberries for giants.
Or maybe strawberries grown by giants. The jolly strawberry-red giant, who I picture as female and not at all like the Jolly Green Giant. Maybe his wife? The strawberry grower.
Every year I tell you how the first crop of strawberries always tastes the sweetest to me. This year is no exception. With just the slightest hint of tartness to them they were sweet as sugar. Just the way I like them.
As the months go by they get more tart and less and less sweet. Just you wait until July when your biting into strawberries and puckering like you just ate a lemon. I fill up on them now and eat them by the bushel full so by the time that happens I can’t stand to look at them anymore.
Happiness is a salad. Happiness is a strawberry salad. Happiness is knowing this is the first of many strawberry salads to come.
Happiness is catching. . . eat some.
Or I’ll be forced to send the strawberry giant after you.