Classic sweet potato casserole with a sweet, crunchy pecan brown sugar topping that melts in your mouth.
Perfect for your holiday table – Thanksgiving and Christmas too.
Or just making right this very minute because, like me, you can’t wait for the holidays to get here.
I may or may not have put up my tree already.
I’m going to wait one more week. . .it’s ok because we had our first snowfall.
First snowfall = decorate your Xmas tree.
Everyone’s heard of that rule, right?
Anywho, you will absolutely want to test drive this casserole ahead of time being it’s fairly fast and easy to make.
Layer cooked, mashed sweet potatoes mixed with egg, melted butter, brown sugar, and salt in a casserole pan, sprinkle the topping over them and bake.
To cook the sweet potatoes I poke a few holes in them for steam to escape, wrap them in foil and stick them in the oven for 45 minutes to an hour, depending on their size. Let them cool a bit, peel and smash them to bits with a potato masher.
The delectable topping is made by combining all-purpose flour, more brown sugar, salt and chopped pecans. Top the sweet potato layer and bake so your house can fill up with the most gorgeous aroma. The topping bakes up like a crumble on a pie.
The creamy potatoes and crunchy topping make beautiful music together promising to be one of the most delicious things on your holiday table.
Maybe even your everyday table because once you taste it you will develop an unforgettable craving for it.
|Sweet Potato Casserole with Pecan Brown Sugar Topping|| |
- 8 tablespoons melted butter, divided, plus more for greasing the pan
- 4 cups cooked, mashed sweet potatoes (plain)*
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- ½ cup light brown sugar
- ½ cup milk
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup light brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup chopped pecans
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Butter an 8x8 or 9x9-inch casserole dish.
- In a medium bowl
mixthe mashed sweet potatoes with 4 tablespoons melted butter, the egg, brown sugar, milkand salt.
- Spoon into the casserole dish and spread out evenly.
- In a small bowl mix the flour, brown sugar and salt together. Add the remaining 4 tablespoons butter and mix with a fork until well combined and a little crumbly.
- Stir in the pecans.
- Spoon over the top of the sweet potatoes.
- Bake 20 - 25 minutes until the top is golden. Let set 5 - 10 minutes before serving.
©Copyright Cinnamon Spice and Everything Nice by Reeni Pisano All Rights Reserved
Nutrition Info based on 9 servings.
13 SmartPoints | 8 PointsPlus