A hearty, spicy pinto bean burger with fresh tomatoes, jalapenos, corn, red onion and smoky spices piled high on a bun with cheddar cheese, crispy bacon and avocado. A Tex-mex explosion of flavors to make your taste buds dance.
If you never had a bean burger then you’re deprived. Seriously. What are you waiting for? They’re surprisingly good.
You all know how much I love a beef burger, right?
It’s entirely possible I may love bean burgers even more. They have a slight edge to them being there are more varieties of beans then there is beef giving me more variations to love. Makes perfect sense.
Thank goodness I don’t have to decide. There’s room enough for every kind of burger in my life.
Wonder where bean burgers have been all your life. Then thank me.
|Tex-Mex Pinto Bean Burgers|| |
- 1 (15
ounce) can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- ½ cup corn
- ⅓ cup fresh tomato, diced
- ¼ cup red onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon jalapeno pepper,
seedsand ribs removed, minced
- 1 heaping tablespoon fresh cilantro or parsley, chopped
- ½ teaspoon coarse salt and a few cracks black pepper
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon Mexican oregano, crushed between fingers
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ⅓ cup breadcrumbs
- 1 egg, beaten
- sharp cheddar cheese slices
- crispy bacon
- In a large mixing bowl mash the beans with a potato masher leaving some chunks. Add the rest of the ingredients and using a fork combine well. Refrigerate for 20 minutes.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat and grease lightly. Form mixture into 4 medium-sized patties or 3 larger patties. Cook 5-6 minutes on each side. Don't overcook or patties can dry out.
- Melt cheese over top and serve on buns with avocado, crispy bacon and the condiments of your choice.