Puffy clouds of gnocchi and tender bites of chicken swimming in a creamy tomato broth seasoned with lots of fresh basil.
A twist on my favorite Olive Garden chicken gnocchi soup.
The heartwarming soup starts with cooking onion and garlic, my two favorite things in the world, in a touch of olive oil followed by browning chicken breasts seasoned with Italian seasonings.
They’re brought together with diced tomatoes, chicken broth, and gnocchi. The starch from the gnocchi helps to naturally thicken the broth and a dash of heavy cream at the end adds an even richer creaminess.
You can use fresh, frozen or shelf-stable gnocchi. Look for them in your market where they keep the fresh pasta, on the pasta aisle or with the frozen ravioli.
The soup is super easy to make even on a busy weeknight and so craveably delicious! Garnish with more basil to serve and grated Parmesan cheese plus crusty bread for sopping up the tasty broth.
It’s soup season! Let’s celebrate.
|Tomato Basil Chicken Gnocchi Soup|| |
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 small diced onion
- 4 cloves minced garlic
- 1 bay leaf
- sea or kosher salt and fresh black pepper
- 1 pound boneless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 4 - 5 cups chicken broth*
- ½ cup fresh basil, stacked and cut into thin strips (chiffonade), plus more for serving
- 1 pound gnocchi (frozen or fresh)
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream, optional
- grated Parmesan cheese, for serving
- In a large soup pot or Dutch oven over medium-low heat add two tablespoons olive oil with the onion, garlic, bay leaf and a couple dashes each salt and pepper. Cook, stirring often until the onion is soft about 5 minutes.
- Remove the onion and garlic to a small bowl and set aside.
- Turn the heat up to medium and add the remaining tablespoon oil along with the chicken. Season well with salt, pepper and the Italian seasoning.
- Stir every few minutes to cook on all sides.
- Add the onion mixture back to the pot with the diced tomatoes, chicken broth and basil. Season with another ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon black pepper.
- Bring to a simmer and cook 15 minutes, stirring often.
- Add the gnocchi and turn the heat up slightly. Bring to a simmer and maintain about 10 minutes, stirring often.
- Stir in the heavy cream and season to taste with more salt and pepper if needed.
- Remove the bay leaf and discard.
- Garnish with basil and Parmesan cheese for serving.
Nutrition Info Based on 6 servings without the Parmesan cheese garnish.
16 SmartPoints | 15 PointsPlus