Tortellini, grape tomatoes, mozzarella, prosciutto and fresh basil tossed in a red wine vinaigrette for the most delicious picnic and potluck salad on earth.
- 12 ounces cheese tortellini
- olive oil, for drizzling
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- ½ cup olive oil (preferably extra-virgin)
- salt and pepper
- 8 ounces mini mozzarella balls, cut in half or cubed mozzarella
- 8 ounces grape tomatoes, cut in half
- 3 ounces chopped prosciutto
- ½ cup fresh torn basil leaves
- Cook the tortellini according to package directions in plenty of well-salted water to al dente. Drain well and place in a bowl. Drizzle with a little olive oil so they don't stick together and toss. Let them cool off a little then cover and refrigerate until cold.
- Meanwhile, make the dressing: Whisk the vinegar and mustard together in a small bowl. Drizzle in the olive oil slowly while whisking. Stir in the garlic and a couple dashes salt and pepper.
- Add the mozzarella, tomatoes, prosciutto, basil, and tortellini to a large bowl. Add the dressing and toss gently with a wooden spoon.
- Season well with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve at room temperature or chilled.
Eat it now, eat it later, eat it on the biggest picnic day of the year, eat it in August when the sky is raining tomatoes.
Eat it any chance you get all summer long because it’s that kind of salad. So, so good!
A dependable classic, one everybody will love and won’t be able to get enough of.