Tuna noodle casserole with Swiss cheese, olives, dill and sweet pickles with a crunchy potato chip and almond topping. All the things I love in a tuna salad sandwich turned into a semi-gourmet casserole.
The BEST tuna casserole in the world. I promise.
|Tuna Noodle Casserole|| |
- 12 ounces egg noodles
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 + ½ cups whole milk
- 1 + ½ teaspoons dill
- 2 + ½ cups good quality shredded Swiss cheese, divided (like Gruyère)
- coarse salt and fresh black pepper
- 2 cans solid white tuna in water, drained and flaked
- 1 cup sliced black olives
- ⅓ cup diced yellow or red onion
- ⅓ cup diced sweet bread & butter pickles
- ¾ cup crushed potato chips
- ¼ cup crushed almonds
- 1 tablespoon cold butter, cut in small pieces
- Cook the egg noodles to al dente according to package directions. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Butter an 8 x 10 or similar size casserole dish.
- Melt the butter over medium-low heat in a large, heavy-duty saucepan. Whisk in the flour and cook 2 - 3 minutes stirring often. Slowly whisk in the milk and turn the heat up, bring to a simmer and cook 3 - 4 minutes stirring often.
- Turn the heat down to low, whisk in the dill, about ½ teaspoon salt and ⅛ teaspoon black pepper and 2 cups of the Swiss. Stir until the cheese is melted, remove from heat.
- Mix the drained egg noodles with the tuna, olives, red onion and pickles. Pour into the casserole and arrange in an even layer. Slowly pour the cheese sauce over top.
- Sprinkle the remaining ½ cup cheese over top then the chips and almonds. Dot the top with butter.
- Bake 25 - 30 minutes until lightly golden and the edges are bubbly. Let set 5 minutes before serving.
Originally published on Aug. 12th 2013.