The Waldorf salad we know today usually has walnuts and often times grapes added atop a bed of lettuce.
I don’t know about you but apples and walnuts are one of my favorite combos. Throw some chicken into the mix and I can make a meal out of it.
Or a party.
I’m not a big fan of celery so I only added a little, chopped so small I hardly knew it was there. If you can’t even stand that much you can substitute with chopped red onion or add more – if you like it.
I mixed lemon juice and a touch of honey into the mayo to make the dressing. You can substitute Greek yogurt if you like or do half mayo – half yogurt.
You can eat it as is, on a green salad, stuffed into pitas, on crackle bread, flatbread, croissants or with crackers.
When you pull out the crackers it’s definitely party time.
|Waldorf Chicken Salad|| |
- 2 cups chopped cooked chicken
- 1 cup seedless grapes, cut in half
- 1 cup diced apples
- ½ cup diced celery
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 - 2 teaspoons honey
- salt and pepper
- Add the chicken, grapes, apples, celery, and walnuts
toa medium bowl.
- In a small bowl whisk the mayo, lemon juice, and honey together. Taste and add more lemon or honey if needed.
- Add the dressing to the bowl and gently toss. Season well with salt and pepper.
- Serve at room temperature or chilled on a green salad, stuffed into pitas, on flatbread or crackers or made into a sandwich on sliced bread or a roll.